Thursday, August 1, 2013

I am moving to Massachusetts from another state, do I need a gun license?

If you wish to bring guns with you from another state to Massachusetts, or to purchase and possess firearms in Massachusetts, then you need to obtain a license.  To obtain an LTC (License to Carry) or an FID (Firearms Identification Card) you need to follow the same process as a current resident of Massachusetts, which we outline in this previous post: How do I obtain a gun license in Massachusetts?

Some firearms or accessories that may be legal in other states may not be legal in Massachusetts or may only be legal to possess if you obtain the full LTC/A.  You should confirm that any firearms you bring in are legal to possess in Massachusetts and that you have applied for the correct license to possess that firearm.

It is also important to note that the law exempts the move in and possession of firearms in the home for new residents for sixty (60) days.  Until you receive the proper license, do not transport any firearms and/or ammunition.

While there is this “grace period” for new residents, new license applications are taking more than the 60 days allotted by statute so you should apply right away.  Additionally, it may be necessary to temporarily store your firearms with a properly-licensed individual or FFL until your license is approved to be in full compliance with the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...